Please welcome Diana Waters to our blog and check out her fabulous interview.
1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm an M/M romance author, originally from New Zealand but currently based in NYC. I've also previously lived in Japan and Thailand. My stories are primarily of the alternative world fantasy variety, and often filled with a lot of hurt/comfort scenarios (with an HEA or HFN, of course). When not reading or writing, I love swimming (ex-pro here) and, when possible, long-distance travel.
|
I was inspired by a lot of things: living in Japan, certain pieces of music, snippets of imaginary scenes that I played and replayed over and over in my head until I found I liked them enough to write them down, in the hopes they would work in words and not just visual extracts. The latter is the most important to me – I often have trouble falling asleep after I go to bed, and when that happens, I usually close my eyes and play stories in my mind like I’m watching a movie. A few of those stories eventually become long enough and detailed enough over time (sometimes months or even years) that I’m finally inspired to try and write them down - and that’s how I came up with a lot of my first book, A Trust To Follow.
|
I don't actually remember how I came up with the title for my first book, but for the follow-up, Kaidyn's Courage, I remember wanting to continue on with the theme of 'virtues' that fit the emotional journey of the main character. Kaidyn is someone who's struggling with things like self-worth and what actions to take based on his background and the unfolding situation - these choices are often difficult but, ultimately driven to do the right thing, he faces up to those choices, no matter how hard they may be and what kind of physical sacrifice may be required.
|
4. Describe your main character in five words.
I would describe Kaidyn as fierce, proud, protective, determined, and yes, ultimately, courageous.
|
5. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing your latest release?
6. Can you share a little of your current work with us?
More and more, I'm finding that the things that come after writing are often more difficult or tiring than the writing itself. I'm not even talking about the second (or third, or fourth) draft, or the initial editing, but all the things also involved in the process of publication - proofreading, formatting, thinking up the blurb and tag line - and eventually, all the way up until the pre and post-publication marketing. It all takes a ton of time and energy, and that's not something anyone can really experience until you get there and have to actually do it. You also have to do it without that creative 'spark' you typically have going on when writing - instead, you have to dig deep and keep going and going, regardless of where your motivation level is at and even if there's no clear endpoint in sight.
|
I'm currently working on the third and final installment of the Wild Magics series, which is tentatively titled Truth in the Wind. Here's the (working progress) blurb:
Despite the recent loss of his parents, Ash Woodhart is content living with his siblings in the southern countryside. Ren, an aloof boy with no home and no family, is an intrusion forced on Ash by his eldest brother, and whom he dislikes on sight. As the years pass and the two come to a closer understanding, Ash’s feelings for Ren gradually morph into something far deeper. However, Ren shows no sign of reciprocating those feelings, and as Ash’s recklessness leads him into danger, the truth may come too late. |
Although part of the Wild Magics series, each book can be read as entirely standalone - it all takes place in the same universe, but each book follows a completely different cast of characters.
|
I'm currently reading the third book in the Enlightenment series by Joanna Chambers - if there's one genre I can't get enough of other than fantasy, it's historical fiction!
|
Hope everyone's staying safe out there! It's not an easy time for anyone, but books have always acted as a wonderful form of escapism, and now is no different.
|
A huge thank you to Diana Waters for stopping by.
You can pick up a copy of Kaidyn's Courage (Wild Magics Book 2) from Amazon.


Comments
Post a Comment
We love to read your comments, so please always feel free to share your thoughts with us. Thank you!