Skip to main content

Review: Cicada - Belle Whittington


Reviewer: John
Rating: 5 out of 5 Fairies
On the surface of it, I am the wrong demographic for this book; an Englishman approaching retirement age. I don’t know much about small town America or graduation, or how the world looks to a modern teenage girl.
I don’t want to spoil the plot by revealing too much, but the essence is that aliens are amongst us & have been for some time. Blair, the narrator & her friends become involved in the rescue & saving of one of the aliens, only to find there is more than one kind and they’re not all friendly.

Blair is troubled by the loss of her father & brother & struggling with coming to terms with the imminent loss of her remaining brother & slightly older friends to college, as well as with the fight to save the alien. There are discoveries made about her family history as well as about herself & her friends. That’s all I’m going to tell you regarding the plot.

I said in the introduction, I didn’t think the book would be for me, but I absolutely enjoyed it from the outset; the book gave me a sense of all the things I mentioned: small town America; coming of age; and while I’ll never pretend to understand women of course, I got a real feel for who Blair was.

I’m looking forward to reading Firefly, the next book in the series.

Synopsis
Summertime for Blair Reynolds and her friends had always been carefree and fun... until the summer they happened upon something that was not human. As they band together in a fight for their lives, Blair's true love becomes something more than human. Something unnatural. And their survival depends entirely upon their ability to keep a secret.

Comments

  1. I absolutely adore this review, and I'm interrupting the 2013 Summer Author Blitz to share it tonight on my facebook fan page!

    I'm so glad you enjoyed CICADA, and I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on FIREFLY. <3

    ~Belle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love to read your comments, so please always feel free to share your thoughts with us. Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal: Eating Sarah - Jaret Martens

Presented by: Title: Eating Sarah Author: Jaret Martens Audience: YA Genre: Thriller Formats: E-book Publisher: Immortal Ink Publishing Cover by: Rebecca Hamilton Editor: Rebecca Hamilton and Louise Caiola Expected Date of Publishing: Mid-2014     Ever since Sarah was young, all she could dream about was participating in The Hunt — a monthly event in which her people sneak into the nearby cities and villages to gather food. And in Sarah’s world, the food they feast on most is human flesh. In the deep forests of the Rocky Mountains, Sarah lives in a community of man-eaters. With Fall ending and hunger running rampant, Sarah and her cannibalistic community are forced to change the rules of their Hunt. And with these changes come new risks. When her first Hunt ends in catastrophe, and one of her only friends is lost, Sarah is sentenced to work in the slaughter shack. Among the dead and dying, Sarah is introduced to Troy: a man she knows she...

Review: Embraced (Enduring Kiss #4) - C.E. Black

Embraced by C.E. Black Ann's rating: 5 of 5 stars Read as a standalone.  This is a fantastic book. It is an easy read but don’t start reading it too late at night or you will probably end up with a book hangover. It is very difficult to put down. Sean is a lost wolf. The woman he loves has married another man, and he is heartbroken. To relieve his suffering, he decides to get out of town and have a drink or two, then he meets Sarah. Sarah is a business owner of a bakery called Decadent Delights and her life seems to be going just the way she wants…until she meets Sean at the bar. Instantly there is an overwhelming attraction and she takes him home with her. Hot animalistic sex occurs (pun intended since Sean is a werewolf). But Sean leaves after one night. He can’t stay because Sarah is human and humans don’t mate with wolves. Two months later, Sarah has a major surprise and goes looking for Sean. And then the fun really begins. This story has sorrow, angst, anger but als...

Tour Review, Post & Giveaway: Shudder - Samantha Durante

Reviewer: Bex Rating: 4 out of 5 Fairies Shudder is a strong follow on from Stitch, a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. What I particular enjoyed and thought that the author managed extremely well was the multiple viewpoints that she built in with the narrative. Not only did this allow us extra insight into the characters, but also the varying points of views added lovely depth to the novel. Samantha Durante's craft has improved and developed since book one. On the whole, her writing is tighter and flows that much easier. There were still a few moments within the dialogue that I felt was a little awkward, yet others could easily disagree. I’m just a stickler and very particular with dialogue. Yet again, there’s a fabulous twist that Durante mastered with skill and ease. This one wasn’t quite as much as a shocker as Stitch, but it still successfully made me do a double take just to be certain. Just the same as Stitch, Shudder left me ready and most definitely eager for t...