Skip to main content

Review: Alice Parker's Metamorphosis - Nicola Palmer

Reviewer: Stacey
Rating: 5 out of 5 Fairies

I must start by saying that when I was asked to read and review this book I was like "This is a kids book!" Yes, I love paranormal/fantasy books, but I am picky when it comes to choosing what I read. I like to have a connection with the characters and allow them to take me on the journey with them, so admittedly I was apprehensive about reading this...then I started reading and everything I've just said...I take back!

This book wasn't only well written, it was executed brilliantly. The characters made the plot explosive, but better than that, believable! So well done, Nicola Palmer, you've converted me!

The story was thrilling and mystical with just enough suspense to keep you wanting more!

Alice is a 13 year old girl (that I instantly wanted to befriend) I wanted to join in the adventure (and this was at the beginning of the book.) Her friend, Sarah and brother, Thomas were along for the ride too.

Alice starts to become good at school - without really trying, sleepless nights - with no explanation, aches and pains in her back, craving sweet things and fruit...what does this mean? She starts seeing things out of the corner of her eye, but when she looks, there is nothing there...is she losing her mind?

She and her brother have a relationship like every other sister and brother would have...until "it" happens! And why is her grandfather keeping secrets?

Nicola Palmer has created a world that will take your breath away. She makes you believe the unbelievable!

I really wanted to be there with Alice and the gang, their characters are so true to life, they make this book extraordinary!

This book is definitely a 5 star!
Synopsis
Feisty thirteen-year-old Alice Parker knows something isn't right. Aches and pains have started, she hardly sleeps, and her craving for fruit is out of control. Suddenly she is top of the class in every subject. Feeling at odds with the world and being bullied by the 'coven' at school, Alice can't take much more. Only when she collapses and experiences a life-changing transformation does she learn why she is different. But with this new identity comes responsibility and Alice isn't convinced she can rise to the challenge. She just wants to be normal! The fact is she's anything but.

Forgotten tales of a magical society are catapulted into the daily life of strong, memorable female characters who readers will grow to love. An intriguing blend of realism, suspense and fantasy, a must-read for girls of 7+.
Links
Books available
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal: Eating Sarah - Jaret Martens

Presented by: Title: Eating Sarah Author: Jaret Martens Audience: YA Genre: Thriller Formats: E-book Publisher: Immortal Ink Publishing Cover by: Rebecca Hamilton Editor: Rebecca Hamilton and Louise Caiola Expected Date of Publishing: Mid-2014     Ever since Sarah was young, all she could dream about was participating in The Hunt — a monthly event in which her people sneak into the nearby cities and villages to gather food. And in Sarah’s world, the food they feast on most is human flesh. In the deep forests of the Rocky Mountains, Sarah lives in a community of man-eaters. With Fall ending and hunger running rampant, Sarah and her cannibalistic community are forced to change the rules of their Hunt. And with these changes come new risks. When her first Hunt ends in catastrophe, and one of her only friends is lost, Sarah is sentenced to work in the slaughter shack. Among the dead and dying, Sarah is introduced to Troy: a man she knows she...

Review: Embraced (Enduring Kiss #4) - C.E. Black

Embraced by C.E. Black Ann's rating: 5 of 5 stars Read as a standalone.  This is a fantastic book. It is an easy read but don’t start reading it too late at night or you will probably end up with a book hangover. It is very difficult to put down. Sean is a lost wolf. The woman he loves has married another man, and he is heartbroken. To relieve his suffering, he decides to get out of town and have a drink or two, then he meets Sarah. Sarah is a business owner of a bakery called Decadent Delights and her life seems to be going just the way she wants…until she meets Sean at the bar. Instantly there is an overwhelming attraction and she takes him home with her. Hot animalistic sex occurs (pun intended since Sean is a werewolf). But Sean leaves after one night. He can’t stay because Sarah is human and humans don’t mate with wolves. Two months later, Sarah has a major surprise and goes looking for Sean. And then the fun really begins. This story has sorrow, angst, anger but als...

Tour Review, Post & Giveaway: Shudder - Samantha Durante

Reviewer: Bex Rating: 4 out of 5 Fairies Shudder is a strong follow on from Stitch, a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. What I particular enjoyed and thought that the author managed extremely well was the multiple viewpoints that she built in with the narrative. Not only did this allow us extra insight into the characters, but also the varying points of views added lovely depth to the novel. Samantha Durante's craft has improved and developed since book one. On the whole, her writing is tighter and flows that much easier. There were still a few moments within the dialogue that I felt was a little awkward, yet others could easily disagree. I’m just a stickler and very particular with dialogue. Yet again, there’s a fabulous twist that Durante mastered with skill and ease. This one wasn’t quite as much as a shocker as Stitch, but it still successfully made me do a double take just to be certain. Just the same as Stitch, Shudder left me ready and most definitely eager for t...