Skip to main content

Editing: The Reality!

It's rare that I find the time to actually produce a blog post all of my very own. Life get's in the way, and we're so lucky to be inundated with requests for blog tour spots and reviews which means that I barely get time to breathe before going onto my next task. But today, I've made an exception.

Today, I want to talk to you about editing. Don't panic this isn't a plug to use my new Hot Tree Editing service. Far from it. In fact, I just want to talk about book editing in general.

I've been editing off and on for the last 10 years, more 'off' in the last five years since having my boy, but I've always made sure I've kept a big toe in - my attempt to avoid becoming rusty or out of touch. I've recently taken the plunge into the world of editing more forcibly and have started  HTE. Obviously, "with this power comes great responsibility". And a responsibility it is. 


I love it. Truly. But I always have a feeling of horror and impending dread when I read a review that slates the editing. Surely, they can't be talking about me; I'm a 'professional' don't you know! Holding back the sick feeling, I begin to pull apart my own expertise, my knowledge. And the manuscript that I've painstakingly worked on. Don't get me wrong, I know that mistakes go unnoticed, slip past me. It's inevitable. It's horrid, but I've come to terms with that, even when a bit of vomit pops into my mouth when I see a published manuscript without a  period where there should be one. The dangers of accepting track changes and becoming too familiar with a manuscript. As I said, pretty crappy, but it happens.


Now it comes to the 'other side' of editing. When is it okay to allow a comma splice to remain? When is it okay to allow a fragmented sentence to exist? My only answer is, it all boils down to the dialogue between the author, and their editor, with the author having the final say. 

Writing is fluid, with only the author being truly in control. They have the power to control and manipulate their sentence construction. They have a master plan. I am completely supportive and respectful of this. Their manuscript is their work, their baby.

An aspect of my working relationship with an author is to become familiar with their style as well as their aim and intentions. I have no doubt whatsoever that fragmenting and comma splicing are perfectly acceptable and necessary when they impact on the characterisation and narrative flow. Obviously, word omissions, spelling, punctuation and grammar errors are a different story. They're not okay. But as editors, we're not invincible.

I would love to wear a 'Supereditor' outfit and eradicate every error. I would wear it with pride. I suppose, that's one of the fabulous things about beta readers. They pick up on the discrepancies. They don't reread the manuscript ten times. A good beta reader is worth their weight in gold. Truly.

Where am I going with this? To be honest, I'm shrugging my shoulders right now. Maybe, I'm making an appeal. An appeal to readers: be open minded about comma splicing and sentence fragments, but not about genuine errors - if you see them, let the author know! Seriously, they'd prefer to know by email and look at correcting them rather than having you slate them. Also, an appeal to authors: if you've yet to use beta readers, find yourself an amazing team. Your readers, with some basic English skills, are the perfect checkers post editing and pre-release. So many minor discrepancies can be identified.

I will continue to work toward my outfit. Maybe one day I'll be worthy. I can but try!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal: Eating Sarah - Jaret Martens

Presented by: Title: Eating Sarah Author: Jaret Martens Audience: YA Genre: Thriller Formats: E-book Publisher: Immortal Ink Publishing Cover by: Rebecca Hamilton Editor: Rebecca Hamilton and Louise Caiola Expected Date of Publishing: Mid-2014     Ever since Sarah was young, all she could dream about was participating in The Hunt — a monthly event in which her people sneak into the nearby cities and villages to gather food. And in Sarah’s world, the food they feast on most is human flesh. In the deep forests of the Rocky Mountains, Sarah lives in a community of man-eaters. With Fall ending and hunger running rampant, Sarah and her cannibalistic community are forced to change the rules of their Hunt. And with these changes come new risks. When her first Hunt ends in catastrophe, and one of her only friends is lost, Sarah is sentenced to work in the slaughter shack. Among the dead and dying, Sarah is introduced to Troy: a man she knows she...

Review: Embraced (Enduring Kiss #4) - C.E. Black

Embraced by C.E. Black Ann's rating: 5 of 5 stars Read as a standalone.  This is a fantastic book. It is an easy read but don’t start reading it too late at night or you will probably end up with a book hangover. It is very difficult to put down. Sean is a lost wolf. The woman he loves has married another man, and he is heartbroken. To relieve his suffering, he decides to get out of town and have a drink or two, then he meets Sarah. Sarah is a business owner of a bakery called Decadent Delights and her life seems to be going just the way she wants…until she meets Sean at the bar. Instantly there is an overwhelming attraction and she takes him home with her. Hot animalistic sex occurs (pun intended since Sean is a werewolf). But Sean leaves after one night. He can’t stay because Sarah is human and humans don’t mate with wolves. Two months later, Sarah has a major surprise and goes looking for Sean. And then the fun really begins. This story has sorrow, angst, anger but als...

Tour Review, Post & Giveaway: Shudder - Samantha Durante

Reviewer: Bex Rating: 4 out of 5 Fairies Shudder is a strong follow on from Stitch, a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. What I particular enjoyed and thought that the author managed extremely well was the multiple viewpoints that she built in with the narrative. Not only did this allow us extra insight into the characters, but also the varying points of views added lovely depth to the novel. Samantha Durante's craft has improved and developed since book one. On the whole, her writing is tighter and flows that much easier. There were still a few moments within the dialogue that I felt was a little awkward, yet others could easily disagree. I’m just a stickler and very particular with dialogue. Yet again, there’s a fabulous twist that Durante mastered with skill and ease. This one wasn’t quite as much as a shocker as Stitch, but it still successfully made me do a double take just to be certain. Just the same as Stitch, Shudder left me ready and most definitely eager for t...