Skip to main content

Review: The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake (The Kahl'Nar Saga, #1) by Mary Parker



Secrets and lies, secrets and lies, she can’t get the truth, no matter how many tries.

The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake is what I would call a paranormal mystery, and a major part of that mystery was figuring out what kind paranormal she was! I will give Mary Parker this; she kept this reader guessing till the big reveal about midway through the book.

It had a slow start (lots of background that was need later), but they were short chapters. It wasn’t until about chapter 8 where things started to pick up and get really interesting. Now I’m a real stickler for endings and this one did not disappoint. Leaving me feeling like my new friend would be ok, but wetting my appetite for more.
                                                                                                     
P.S. – any book that uses the phrases, “I digress”, and “the redheaded stepchild” has my attention. I keep looking for a “feeling a little verklempt” but sadly it was not to be found maybe next time. 3.5 fairies
Goodreads Synopsis 
I'm a normal teenager. I have a normal teenage life with normal teenage problems. The summer is my heaven. I live with my mom during the summer months. We stay in her tiny condo in Jacksonville, Florida. My parents split up when I was little. I'm not sure why. My mom never talks about it. Whatever it was, it was bad enough to make my mom pack me up in the middle of the night when I was four years old and run to my Gran's condo. My mom got the condo after Gran died. From that time on all I had known my entire life was beach life. Until four years ago. Until my uncle found me.
Purchase Links
Stalker Links
Facebook ~ Goodreads ~ Website

 What other reviewers are saying about this enjoyable read:


U.K.-based book blog, Much Loved Books, observes that "Leeowyn is portrayed as an average, down-to-earth person, and this makes it easy to believe her thoughts and feelings. And even when she is no longer average you still want to cheer her on with whatever tasks she has to do."
Writing from Romania, reviewer Cristina Buzoianu from the Bibliophile Mystery book blog says, "In the beginning, Lee is a normal teenager, coping with normal problems, then, gradually, she starts to evolve and uncover little by little the uncommon truth of her destiny. At the same time The story changes into one full of originality and unexpected turns. Even if she isn’t ready for what’s out there, she takes her role seriously, without losing a single drop of her charisma, or her teenage sense of humor."

"I really wasn't expecting this awesome new world...a world so complex and so wonderfully built, that I really don't have the right words to describe it," enthuses U.S.-based Ruby's Books blog. "You have mystery, you have lots of fantasy, suspense, a little bit of horror even, a little thread of romance, a hint of sadness and some very funny moments. This is one of those books that reminded me why I fell in love with reading. The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake will keep you on the edge of your chair and at the end, leave you thirsty for more."
"Oh. My. Gosh. This book was fantastic!!! The Awakening of Leeowyn Blake is a mix of paranormal, fantasy, mystery, romance…. Gosh, just everything!!!" declares teenage book reviewer Catherine Coffman in the Cat's Thoughts book blog. "There’s so much that goes on in this book that I can’t even describe it, it was seriously awesome. I was so impressed that I can’t even explain it, and I never wanted to put it down!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cover Reveal: Eating Sarah - Jaret Martens

Presented by: Title: Eating Sarah Author: Jaret Martens Audience: YA Genre: Thriller Formats: E-book Publisher: Immortal Ink Publishing Cover by: Rebecca Hamilton Editor: Rebecca Hamilton and Louise Caiola Expected Date of Publishing: Mid-2014     Ever since Sarah was young, all she could dream about was participating in The Hunt — a monthly event in which her people sneak into the nearby cities and villages to gather food. And in Sarah’s world, the food they feast on most is human flesh. In the deep forests of the Rocky Mountains, Sarah lives in a community of man-eaters. With Fall ending and hunger running rampant, Sarah and her cannibalistic community are forced to change the rules of their Hunt. And with these changes come new risks. When her first Hunt ends in catastrophe, and one of her only friends is lost, Sarah is sentenced to work in the slaughter shack. Among the dead and dying, Sarah is introduced to Troy: a man she knows she...

Review: Embraced (Enduring Kiss #4) - C.E. Black

Embraced by C.E. Black Ann's rating: 5 of 5 stars Read as a standalone.  This is a fantastic book. It is an easy read but don’t start reading it too late at night or you will probably end up with a book hangover. It is very difficult to put down. Sean is a lost wolf. The woman he loves has married another man, and he is heartbroken. To relieve his suffering, he decides to get out of town and have a drink or two, then he meets Sarah. Sarah is a business owner of a bakery called Decadent Delights and her life seems to be going just the way she wants…until she meets Sean at the bar. Instantly there is an overwhelming attraction and she takes him home with her. Hot animalistic sex occurs (pun intended since Sean is a werewolf). But Sean leaves after one night. He can’t stay because Sarah is human and humans don’t mate with wolves. Two months later, Sarah has a major surprise and goes looking for Sean. And then the fun really begins. This story has sorrow, angst, anger but als...

Tour Review, Post & Giveaway: Shudder - Samantha Durante

Reviewer: Bex Rating: 4 out of 5 Fairies Shudder is a strong follow on from Stitch, a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. What I particular enjoyed and thought that the author managed extremely well was the multiple viewpoints that she built in with the narrative. Not only did this allow us extra insight into the characters, but also the varying points of views added lovely depth to the novel. Samantha Durante's craft has improved and developed since book one. On the whole, her writing is tighter and flows that much easier. There were still a few moments within the dialogue that I felt was a little awkward, yet others could easily disagree. I’m just a stickler and very particular with dialogue. Yet again, there’s a fabulous twist that Durante mastered with skill and ease. This one wasn’t quite as much as a shocker as Stitch, but it still successfully made me do a double take just to be certain. Just the same as Stitch, Shudder left me ready and most definitely eager for t...