Curves in the Road
The Southern Devotion Series #2 (Can be read as standalone)
By- Amy K McClung
Publication Date-August 6, 2014
When you build a road from one place to another, it won't always be a straight line. Sometimes you have to add curves to move around the obstacles. Life is like that as well. Sometimes we have a straight path of what we want in life and we do everything we can to follow that path until suddenly a mountain appears and we have to veer off course to get around it. Even though we face those curves, it doesn't mean we won't end up on the same path we started. Then again, sometimes we discover roads that we never knew existed and that will get us to where we want to be.
Derrick Collins lives in Nashville TN with his six year old daughter, Katelyn. Derrick found love once before in a girl named Mary Jane, until she moved away to Florida to fulfill her dreams of becoming an engineer. Derrick's life hasn't been the same since Mary Jane left two years ago. His days are spent working long hours in order to give his daughter a good life. His social life is non-existent these days and he's decided it's time for a change. Derrick sets out to find his happily ever after once and for all.
Mary Jane Evans' life took a different path than she ever dreamed. She moved to Florida for an intern program at Disney. She left her life in Nashville that included childhood friends, family, and the first man she ever loved, Derrick Collins. Now it's time to decide if she will move back to that life or stay in the new one she has created for herself. Will Derrick still be waiting for her? What if she's been gone too long and he no longer cares?
Can these two find their paths back to each other or were there too many Curves in the Road?
10 Things You May Not Know About This Series
1. The Southern Devotion series is about a group of friends who have events called “Loozas” which are basically parties to drink and have fun. This idea came because my husband and I have “Loozas” with our friends every couple of months. It has given us some of the best memories of our lives.
2. The characters are very loosely based on my friends. Each character has personality traits that belong to one of my friends, the events that happen to them are not the same but the way they deal with them is the same way I know that friend would deal with them.
3. The first book in the series, For the Love of Gracie, was supposed to be a stand-alone novel. Once I sent it to my beta readers and found out how much they loved Mary Jane and Derrick, I decided to make it a series.
4. The covers are Seasons. Book 1, For the Love of Gracie, is Fall. Book 2, Curves in the Road, is Summer. Book 3 will be Winter, Book 4 will be Spring.
5. I incorporate the cover into each book. In Gracie, I incorporated the dress the character wore on the cover. In Book 2, I incorporate the scene of the cover into one of the last few chapters.
6. In the first book, For the love of Gracie, many of the events in Gracie’s life reflect my own. Her emotions, her turmoil, her strengths were things I experienced in my own life. Her story was a bit more dramatic than my own but there were so many similarities that when my husband listened to the audiobook he was blown away by how close to real life it had been.
7. I chose Nashville TN as the location because it’s my hometown and I chose to write about all my favorite places in and around Nashville in order to give them the recognition they deserve.
8. Each place that is visited in a book is one that I visited while writing the book. For instance, Gracie experiences her first time at a shooting range in For the Love of Gracie. I also experienced my first time at a shooting range during the time i was writing it. In fact, I decided to add the scene after I went. In Curves in the Road, the guys visit a cabin on Dale Hollow Lake. As I was writing that, my friends and I took a weekend trip to Dale Hollow Lake. Adding scenes like these help me to recreate the emotions or imagery that I experienced myself.
9. My husband came up with the name of the series (The Southern Devotion Series) after I told him it took place in Nashville and it was a romance. He also came up with the title Curves in the Road by a small description of the characters and their situation. He is my muse.
10. I’ve run out of things you don’t know about this series so I’ll add that Book #3’s title is Complicated Relationships and will revolve around a character introduced in Book #2.
About the Author-
Amy K McClung was born in Nashville, TN. She is the second oldest of four girls. She married Daniel McClung in September 2005 and they currently reside just outside of Nashville. She graduated from Father Ryan High School in 1996. In 2002 obtained her general certification in medical coding and billing and in 2009 she obtained a specialty certification in Hospital medical coding and billing. Amy and her husband are both fans of fantasy novels as well as avid movie collectors. The Parker Harris Series is the first series of books by this author. Cascades of Moonlight is Book #1, Dreams, Spells, and Moonlit Tales is Book #2, and The Dark Moon Book #3 and The Cold Moon Book #3.5 a Novella from Mitchell's POV. Her second series is a New Adult Contemporary Romance, The Southern Devotion Series, with each book having as a standalone novel with crossover characters. The first book in that series is For the Love of Gracie. Curves in the Road is her newest release as Book 3 in the NA series. Her favorite past times include watching movies, drawing, and reading fantasy novels. Her first book was a means of therapy for her as it enabled her to escape reality for a while during a difficult transition in her life. Her current work in progress is a spin-off of The Parker Harris Series called "The Crispin Sinclair Chronicles" that will be released in October 2014 as a YA Fantasy series.