For this week: 14th July - 2oth July, Bex 'n' Books is hosting the delightful and highly entertaining RM Gilmore.
Over the week, both on this blog & on our Facebook page, we'll be providing lots of wonderful and interesting information about RM Gilmore, her two books, The Scene & Becoming and of course a large rafflecopter giveaway (see below) as well as daily giveaways on our Facebook page.
So with no further preamble, lets get know RM Gilmore a little bit better in her entertaining interview - part one. Once you've read, we'd love you to enter the giveaway, and come back over the next week to read her interview - part two, our review of The Scene, and our review of Becoming! You're in for a treat!
I am a wife and mom. I live in terrible, awful California where the sun never stops shining in my eyes. I started writing in high school with rinky-dink poems and whatnot and started writing the Dylan series in 2008. I am the author of the Dylan Hart Odyssey of The Occult series and the new Lynnie Russell Trilogy. I like to drink alcohol in abundance and until three months ago I smoked like it was going out of style. I rarely care much what others think of me. That sometimes lands me in deep doo doo. I also don’t care too much about that. I spend most of my life laughing (until recently when I quit smoking) and firmly believe I will go out in a blaze of glorious laughter.
2. What inspired you to write your first book? If I am being completely honest, a long night of vampy discussions with friends over many alcoholic beverages. Like my character, Dylan Hart, I make no qualms about drinking, smoking, adult content, foul language, and such. Neither of us would ever be allowed to star on a WB program. We're more HBO bound. That being said, after many drinks my friends and I started discussing vampires (we're all closet Buffy fans) and the new (new then, four years ago) rise in tweeny vampire fans. All three of us annoyed by this jump in black clad, vampire vs. werewolf, screaming prepubescent’s, we began joking about how one of them will eventually haul off and truly think themselves a vampire. Thus, Dylan Hart and her band of misfit vampires were born. Dylan rose from the glittering dust of Twilight and the fanatical refuse of millions of adolescent girls clinging to their "vampire boyfriend magazines". They truly are NOT your daughter’s vampires.
3.How did you come up with the title Dylan Hart: Odyssey of The Occult Series? Dylan’s name was almost an immediate thing. From day one I had her name in my head. Odyssey of The Occult is a nod to Homer’s The Odyssey. Odysseus battles through many trials just to get home; Dylan has to battle many trials as well, only she is out to write a smash new novel. The series will follow Dylan through her odyssey of the occult hitting on more than just vampires. Although, our favorite blood sucking characters from The Scene will go along for the ride. Dylan will face voodoo, Santeria, ghosts, demonic possession, and yes, vampires. All the while the question arises, with the occult where does fiction end and fact begin?
4. How are you the same/different from your main character? Dylan Hart is me incarnate. She is so easy to write because every reaction she has, every smart ass quip, every ridiculous scenario she gets herself into is very indicative of me and my life. Although, I have never barrelled into 40 gallons of human blood. But you know what I mean. Lynnie is nothing like Dylan and I. She is a much softer character. A bit rough around the edges with her country girl mentality, but all around a good kid…regardless.
5. Describe Dylan Hart in five words. Jaded. Difficult. Entertaining. Sarcastic. Badass. (ß Really glad that’s one word)
6. What do you have in store for your main character Dylan? We’ll get to see more ridiculousness from besties Dylan and Tatum. Dylan’s relationship status will come into play over the next few books. Dylan tries to keep her head as she goes up against some serious negative mojo, Tatum’s new found beau, the mysterious Mr Cyrus Atossa, vampires as far as the eye can see, and a trip to the Big Easy in the Dylan’s next excursion in her odyssey, “Endless Night”. Beyond that all I can say is a curse only has power if you believe in it. And a gun only has power if you have bullets in it.
7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? I am the worst editor known to man. I feel like I can see typos within text written by others, but can’t even notice an entire missing word in my own work. Other than that I’d have to say I am honestly surprised at how little sleep I actually need. Writing, editing, working on book trailers, designing swag, hours into the night. All part of the very unglamorous life of an indie author.
8. Cyrus, is a pretty tasty character. What’s your type of man candy? I’m actually more of a “Mike” type. A bit more beefy, protective, all American corn-fed boy. Detective Mike Petersen would be my husband tomorrow if he were a living breathing human being. In fact, there are times I question Dylan’s dating choices. (More Mike, Cyrus, and Dylan action coming!) But, hey, to each his own. (I also regularly forget Dylan is a fictional character.)
9. Have you ever done anything strange or weird in the name of research? I do strange and weird things daily. But, in the name of research, I joined multiple Sanguinarian (Lifestyle Blood Drinkers) clubs and forums. I posed as a sang. to gain inside information. Actually, I gathered some pretty cool ritual and rites info, as well as, some stuff to prove the idiocy of some of the supporters of the lifestyle. I guess you could say, on a very small level, I followed Dylan on her journey for the truth. Luckily for me, no dead girls were involved. At least, I don’t think so.
Dylan Hart Odyssey of The Occult
Lynnie Russell Trilogy
Follow on Twitter @RMGilmoreAuthor
More to follow tomorrow on the blog and daily on Facebook!
a Rafflecopter giveaway