- Do you have any writing rituals? Music, I have to have music on, I will put my ear phones in and just write. I also tend to bounce things off my baby brother a lot. Marshall is the reason Katy Lily exists, his opinion matters a lot to me because of that reason. And watch out his writing his first book! And that boy is a lot darker than I and he is only 19! I will take him to Barnes and we will just walk, shop, and drink tea and just bounce ideas off each other. That is the reason Riley is an Air Elemental, it is my brother’s favourite element.
- Have you ever done anything strange or weird in the name of research? I sought out a voodoo priestess… seriously. I have studied Religions, including Wicca and Voodoo for years, but this priestess was a bit strange, and had a fascination for chicken blood and bones. I am all for everybody doing their own things, but I think from now on when I am researching voodoo zombies I am going to stick to books. Other than that most of the time I will research for days, weeks even, trying to find the information I want. Everything in Katy Lily is accurate, everything in Guardian’s is, everything in all my writing is very accurate with their details. The Wiccan calendar is what I used to structure their year in Katy Lily; the reason is to honour a friend who is Wiccan. The meanings of the stones, are very important to their characters, they come into play later in the series that is why they were introduced. Their elements describe them; I researched the elements for months before writing word one of Katy Lily for public viewing.
- That's freakily cool - hee...How do you market your book(s)? I print them through Lulu.com and they will put them on Amazon and Barnes and Noble for me, but other than that I promote them myself, and I am really new at it, so I am open to all suggestions. I believe that social media like Facebook is a great place to start.
- What book are you reading now? I just finished H.P. Mallory’s Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble, and Of Darkness and Light by Lily Crussell, both of which I loved! Now I am going to read In Dreams Begin by Skyler White.
- I love HP Mallory & Lily Crussell too. I'll check out Skyler White, thanks. What new author has grasped your interest? There are so many out there, but I am really excited for A.L. Burgo’s first book Sec4rets and The Immortal Series by Maria M both have me excited for their book. I have read some of the blurbs they have on their facebook pages and they sound so awesome I can’t wait!
- Do you have any advice for other writers? Don’t give up… And for 14 years I didn’t write a word, and I had a hole in my soul… The second I picked the pen back I found myself happy and healthier. So just don’t give up, you will have people who don’t like you work… I had someone close to me tell me they hated my writings so I gave up. I was the fool. Even just last night, most of my family stated that doing this, spending money, my writing, was foolish. I don’t believe so, they may think I many never be able to make a name in writing, and they might be right, but there will be a few who love my characters and my stories, and for them I will write. I don’t care if this only ever touches the heart of one person, it touched them and that is all I want.
- That is really both admirable and brave Kati. I'm glad that you're remaining an optomist and are having pleasure doing so. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? I am sorry in advance if I do something to one of your favourite characters. I have been threatened with bodily harm by a few of my readers when they asked me what I have in store for a few characters. The Katy Lily series will become darker before it gets to the end, and the end right now is stuck between 3 choices so we shall see.
- What’s in your fridge right now? I think it was Chinese at one point… Seriously my brothers don’t leave much in my fridge with 4 brothers, I don’t get to keep much in my fridge…
- What song do you sing at the top of your voice every time you hear it? Some Nights by Fun and Split Personality by P!NK Also Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen I will also sing out loud a lot of my dad’s songs, like My Ding-a-ling by Chuck Berry… there is a reason I have silver bells all around me, they remind me of my dad and his taste in music.
- Who would win in a fight: Harry Potter or Ron Weasely? And why? I really just started reading Harry Potter because it has been said that my books kinda remind people of Harry Potter, I seen a couple of the movies and read book six in a book club (yes before reading the others). And really what I have seen of both Harry and Ron, in the end I think Ron would win… I don’t know if that is because he really is better, or just because I happen to have fallen in love with the Weasley family (Have read book 1 and 2 and waiting to read 3 until after I have book 3 written of Katy Lily.)
- Other than writing, what special or unusual talent(s) do you have? I can play the clarinet… and I have a friends that call me Katipedia because I can give random facts on anything… it is really kinda interesting, I remember almost everything I read, and can give you a really long answer you don’t want. A friend of mine wrote a paper on Egypt citing me as his source!
- Where did you last go on holiday? Last vacation I really took was before my dad passed away in 2009, I take days off for Memorial Day to visit the cemeteries and such, but my next vacation was supposed to be to New Orleans for Halloween, but things come up and so I am thinking it will be sometime in 2013 I will get a holiday!
|A banner for use on Facebook|
Truth and Lies Pat and Present: PB US Amazon / Kindle US / Lulu HB / Kindle UK /
A Nightmare Within a Dream: Kindle US / Kindle UK /
More to follow tomorrow on the blog and daily on Facebook!